Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Following Your Dreams

We have all heard the quotes,
"If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life. "
Marc Anthony
and
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life you have imagined."
Henry David Thoreau

Embarking on the journey of starting In Full Bloom by MJL has not necessarily been free from "work" as the quote by Marc Anthony states.  I am constantly working, putting bids together, meeting with clients, emailing, submitting orders to suppliers, designing, delivering, accounting.....there are many more aspects that go into this little business than meet the eye (if you are a small business owner you know what I'm talking about!).  There is no end to the education I receive with each new project and still have lots more learning ahead of me!

A few months back I was at lunch with a good family friend who I've known since I was in kindergarten.  She was about to give a presentation on career tips to high schoolers getting ready to apply to college and asked for photos of my brother.  No, these are not photos from awkwardfamilyphotos.com, they are straight from our personal family photo vault.

My Mimi, brother and cousins, Justin and Michael at the zoo together.  


It all began with my brother when he was quite little.  I cannot tell you how many National Geographic specials, Jacques Cousteau movies, trips to any zoo or animal park within a days driving distance I have experienced mainly because of him.

Brian at I posing in front of a penguin (above) and as animals (below). 
During the summertime we would play "dolphin trainer" in the pool where one of us would give commands to the other who acted out the part of a dolphin.  Generally, I was the trainer since I solidly held down the role of bossy big sis.

 Brian also had an entire set of plastic sea animals that we would play with in the pool.  By the time he was 12, he began volunteering at Effie Yeaw Nature Center  feeding, cleaning and caring for the animals.

It wasn't long before he moved to The Folsom Zoo, Micke Grove Zoo, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (which will always be Marine World to me), the Long Marine Laboratory, Alaska SeaLife Center and finally at his current job!  I thought you might enjoy a small history in photos of  Brian and his passion.   


Our family friend also asked for photos of me if I had them.  I wasn't sure what I would find in the way of Monica/flower pictures when I started digging but here are a few I came up with.  By the way, I realize these are highly embarrassing photos, but if you are laughing it is worth it!  I would like to think I just get better with age!

Here I am visiting my grandparents in Oregon picking and examining (closely) the flowers along the roadside.

Not necessarily a "florist" photo, but I am dressed as a flower munchkin for my appearance in "The Wiz" when I was little.
 My grandma used to teach me the names of flowers when I would visit her in Oregon.  It has helped me a lot recently!  I have friends that ask me the names of flowers all the time too!


 I made arrangements (pictured above) in college to my big and grand big in sorority for big sis revealing!  Pictured below is a Christmas arrangement I made (probably for my mom or grandma...I was blonde back then so it's hard to remember!).
I would LOVE to know....what is your passion?  Is there a career that has been calling to you your entire life? What is it?
Valentine's Day Arranging 2011

1 comment: