Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Recipe: Pozole Soup

It's finally gotten to the point where my hands and toes are cold most of the time and I am taking 2 showers a day to warm my body up! Typical pre-menopausal female, I know.  In that spirit and in an effort to prepare my meals in advance for the week so I can make healthy choices I decided to make Pozole, or at least my Americanized, meat-free, use the extra veggies in my fridge version!  It turned out great! Here's a rough idea of my recipe since I notoriously make things and measure nothing!

Pozole

2 Cartons Vegetable Broth
4 Carrots
1 Zucchini
1 Yellow Onion
1 Can 16oz Hominy
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Can Black Beans
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp Oregano
1tsp Paprika
1tsp Cumin
1tsp Cayenne Pepper
Jack Cheese
Avocado
Lime


Pour both containers of vegetable broth into a large pot.  Chop carrots, zucchini, onion and bell pepper and add them to the broth mixture.  Open and drain the hominy and black beans (rinse too) and add to the soup.  Add in the spices to taste.  I estimated how much I used so if you don't like things too spicy ease off the cayenne and paprika.  Bring the soup to a boil then let it simmer on the stove until the veggies are cooked.  Serve the soup with shredded jack cheese, sliced avocado and lime on top!


No comments:

Post a Comment